Friday, January 4, 2008

How to Get Married, Part I

Okay, long time no do anything with computer because too busy with little boy....haha, I can't even talk in adult speak anymore. Kids are tiring! Hey, I had an interesting thought the other day. Let's see if Ari will be good for long enough so I can get it out. So, I'm really enjoying being married to a great, INSPIRATIONAL man named Jarem, and I thought about how it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been ready. By that, I mean, I was finally open to marriage- I let my hair grow out and took care of it, I did way less makeup and felt more confident about my looks, and more importantly, I was ready on the inside. I had just spent a while doing film and theater, which I loved, and I was just coming off of the Joseph Smith film, which was a great testimony builder. So I felt great in my career, and with the Church. I wasn't just sitting around moping about how I wanted to get married. That is when Jarem and I met, and we both had the confidence to respect each other and enjoy being together without being clingy. Then I thought about all my single friends, and how most of them would like to be married, and why they aren't. I know, this is sounding quite rude, but it's not. I remembered some of Elder Oaks talks to the singles at BYU and how blunt he was, and how I ignored that counsel, advice, and commandment to get married and have a family. My friends, you are now saying that you are not that dumb to ignore an apostle, and that you are doing everything you can to find an eternal mate....so why isn't it working? I think I know. haha. Now I'm Ghandi. For some, it's easy, like my bro Daniel. All you have to do is get back to the right place, ie, not Iraq. Sorry I used your name. :) For others, you are in the right place, but you have to stop being so picky, and find your partner not based on if she has blond hair and perfect makeup. That won't last, I promise. And some have been ready spiritually, emotionally, and mentally for a long time- ready to have the great husband and wonderful kids. But physically, you are not ready, and the good guys will not look past the weight issue. Believe me, I'm fat now too, and it stinks not being told you are beautiful anymore. I shall have to start real exercising, not just chasing Ari and friends around. I don't eat that badly, I just don't like to fix food. I need a cook, and then I just have to do pilates, walking, yoga, etc to be healthy again. (PS- interesting side note, today on the radio they were talking about how in the 50s our expenses were 18% food, 5% health care, and today our expenses are 5% food and 15% health care- we are paying for eating crappy cheap junk food with our health! They also said now we spend LESS than an hour a day preparing food, and OVER 3 hours a day on the internet or watching tv- I can't believe that. Well, here I am on the internet and not preparing a healthy meal for Jarem, so there you have it. :) Okay, I got sidetracked on my side note. Where was I? Oh yes, I know my friends believe it is important to get married, and I know you want to, but why isn't it working? Oh, and just so you know, I have equal male and female single friends....the problem is with both sexes....I also have several female friends who will not marry the guys who ask them, because they are immature and spend all day doing video games, etc. I think Elder Oaks also said to grow up and stop trying to be Peter Pan. What about if you can't get a girl to date or marry you? What if you are successful in career but not in love? Focus more on the Lord, the temple, the scriptures, and figuring out what makes YOU happy, and then you will be able to make a girl happy. And always, location, location, location....and no, I don't think Utah is a great place to find your eternal companion. I know, I'm a hypocrite, because Jarem and I found each other in Utah, but seriously, the men and women there are pretty shallow and weird. Jarem is a fluke, thanks for being friends with him Tia. Tia is not fake, she's a great person (and that's probably why you moved to DC, eh!). Anyway, this is part I, and when I get all the critics to comment I'll write part II with corrections on how to get married.

9 comments:

Liz said...

Hmmm...I don't know if I'm supposed to be a part of this conversation...you know, being happily married and all. :) But, I guess I'll put my two cents in. Well, Daniel, you should definitely come home, get married, and start making cousins for mine and Sara's kids. Tia, you're beautiful! Dan U. (oops, I used names too), definitely stop going for the blonde bimbos...dark hair is in, so blonde is going to be harder and harder to find anyway. :) Well, that's all the people I can think of that Sara might be writing about. Read your scriptures, say your prayers, and if you ever want to get your priorities straight, head into the Primary room on Sunday. Love you all!

Liz said...

Oh yeah, I forgot...YOU POSTED! HOORAY! A NEW POST! AND PICTURES TOO! HALLELUJAH! WOO-HOO! Okay, I'm done. Thanks for my Frye Fix. :)

Sara said...

Yep, I posted. And boy, you are on the ball! I haven't even emailed people yet to tell them! What a great sister. And why the heck did you tell them to go to the primary room?! Won't that scare everybody? haha. Miss Primary President. Hey, how is that going, anyway? Blog it. No, I wasn't thinking of Dan U. when I made that blond comment! That's funny. I was actually thinking of Phil and Paul. See, I have lots of single friends. ha. And when I was talking about the weight issue, I was thinking about a friend in Australia who just lost tons and tons of weight and now she looks so beautiful! I know the guys are after her now. Plus I have several film friends who are pretty successful in career, but not in love, and that, I believe, is because they are surrounded by loser men who honestly aren't interested in marriage, or really, women. HAHAHA!

Jarem Frye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jarem Frye said...

Yes, the secrets to getting married. I will tell you how it is...
Sara is right that you must stop being so picky. Follow her example! That is for the women anyway.
For the guys, don't lower your standards! We all know that guys always marry up. This is because women want to be married more then guys do so easier for us to convince a girl to marry us. In addition to this, girls admire a guy who's going somewhere and and works toward great things. That suckers them in as well, so lowering your standards will just work against you.
Marriage come when the perfect combination of a guy raising his standards and a girl lowering her standards cross paths.
Remember guys, men always marry up. If you're not dating someone way better then you, it won't work out, so just move on.
Ps,
Sara, you're beautiful!!!

Daniel said...

Why is everyone in a hurry to get married? We have eternity to be married. Might as well enjoy some single time here on Earth. :)

Sara said...

haha- I just want you home from Iraq! Hurry up! Remember Daniel, the Lord is going to tell you to come home, just like I am. :)

Liz said...

Going to? I think He has been. :)

Jarem Frye said...

You're right Daniel, the single life is the best!
Oh crap... did I say that out load? I'm in trouble now! My wife is going to kill me!!!